Thursday, February 09, 2006

Thailand: Climbing in Chiang Mai

Today, Erin and I decided it was time to make some use out of my climbing equipment and check out the climbing scene in Chiang Mai. We met a group of other climbers at a nearby shop (including two people I hung out with in Tonsai!) and we rode in a saagnthaew up to Crazy Horse Buttress, a limestone rock slab about 40km north.

All I will say about the day is that I was absolutely terrible. It has only been about ten days since I last climbed, but you would think it had been ten years. The first two climbs were easy, but my third climb felt like it lasted for hours, and, true to form, I managed to take a huge fall while clipping in the last bolt. I was immensely frustrated, and nothing else I did for the rest of the day was worth mentioning! I was planning on taking my climbing gear throughout Asia with me, but after today's events, I think I shall just leave it all in Thailand!

Tonight, Erin and I had dinner with my two Tonsai friends, Rob and Kira. After dinner, we sleepily wandered through Chiang Mai's Night Bazaar.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home