Sunday, January 29, 2006

Thailand: Back in Action!

Well, after almost a week of resting and boredom, I have finally gotten my lazy butt back on the rock! On Friday morning, I met up with my friends Emma and Robbie, the British couple I met my first day in Railay. After breakfast, we walked over to the edge of Railay beach for a full day of climbing. I was very worried that my knee would not allow me to do anything difficult, but fortunately, the only problem was that I had a slight tightness in my leg and was able to complete three climbs, with my final climb being one of the most difficult I have ever done (6b+/5.11a).

Saturday morning I hooked up with two guys I met this week, and we went to the beach to "warm-up" on a 6b+ climb. These guys are really good climbers and way out of my league, especially considering that their warm-up is the the max of my difficulty level. Amazingly, I made it to the top of the climb (it was not pretty...lots of cheating and even a huge fall as I was clipping into the anchor), but I managed to do it. I hung around for a bit to watch them climb, then declared defeat and went in search of my roommate Kalu.

Kalu wanted to climb with me, so I decided to play instructor and took her and two of my newfound American friends to an easy rock wall. We had a great afternoon, and were exhausted by the end of the day!

With today being my last day of climbing, I talked Robbie into joining me for a multi-pitch climb over the beach. It was a fairly easy climb, and the view from the top was astounding! However, it took us the whole day, and now I am beat!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home