Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Thailand: Khao San Road

Well, I will have to be honest. I was really, really sad about leaving Tonsai...the climbing, the community feel, the beach, the monkeys...I am really going to miss it. However, I have had a most exciting few days in Bangkok...and I am still not traveling alone!

Kalu and I decided to leave on the 30th, and at the last minute our three American buddies (two are from Georgia!) decided to catch the same bus...I am starting to think they are following us...crazy southern boys.

We took an overnight train out of Surat Thani, arriving in Bangkok around 5:30 am...of course, the streets were still fairly busy that time, what with shopowners getting ready for a new day of sales to drunken farang (foreigners) missing their mouths with glops of Phad Thai. We wandered around for a while in search of a room, eventually splitting up...Kalu and I found a nice room at Ranee's Guesthouse, then headed to a spa for a morning of pampering...that is, if you consider an hour of hot wax and ripping hairs out of one's legs and the Thai-style massage of sharp elbows and knees in one's back a walk in the park.

That evening we met up with the boys, eventually having one of the most fun night I have had in ages! We ended up at an all-Thai dance club near farang-filled Khao San Road, and, despite a few initial glares from various territorial Thais, danced the night away! Afterwards, we had phad thai, and I was even so fortunate as to have a stray dog run up to me and start licking the huge scab on my knee...gotta love a night out in Bangkok!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home