Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Thailand: Bangkok Sightseeing

Today was a sunny and extremely hot day...perfect for visiting the Grand Palace and other tourist hotspots in Bangkok After breakfast, Kalu and I met up with the boys. We hopped in a cab for the 1km ride to the Grand Palace and Wat Phra Kaew. It was pretty pricey getting in, but we scrounged up some money and entered the beautiful grounds. Upon entering, we had to change into suitable attire: pants for the boys and long-sleeved shirts and skirts for us girls.

We walked through the intricate buildings and grounds. I was amazed at the details of these sacred buildings. The walls were covered in tiny tiles, mirrors, and elaborate flowers and other carvings. The domes of these massive structures were covered in sparkling yellow gold. It was truly breathtaking.

I was astounded to see, upon entering the main worship hall, a small Buddha made entirely of emerald. Hence, his name is the "Emerald Buddha."

After leaving the Wat, I persuaded the boys to participate in some authentic Asian traveling by hopping aboard a local bus. It was a rickety, smelly montrosity that crept through town to our final destination: Siam Square, home of the beautifully sparkling, albeit quite sterile and modern mall. We walked around in awe at the cleanliness of the place before taking a sunset skytrain ride through the heart of Bangkok. This is when I truly felt myself falling in love with this city. I had heard plenty of bad things about Bangkok, but I have come to realize that most of these naysayers are those who dare not venture out of the over-priced, sleazy Khao San Road bubble. Apart from the air pollution (what city in the world has truly avoided this phenomenon?), Bankok is a gorgeous city full of flavor, culture, and the friendliest people I have ever met. Actually, this description could be applied to almost all of Thailand!

After the short skytrain trip, we took a taxi boat along the river back north to the Khao San area. I took everyone out to dinner at a Korean restaurant (I did not pay, of course, but just ordered!) before a few of us ventured away from Khao San once again to listen to some jazz at an overpriced joint near Lumphini Park. Finally, I settled into bed, happy for the few days I have had in Bangkok but looking forward to heading to Chiang Mai soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home