Friday, February 03, 2006

Thailand: Chiang Mai

Well, after a final day lying by a pool in Bangkok, I boarded a 6:00 pm bus bound for Chiang Mai, a smaller town located twelve hours north. The bus ride was a nightmare, as the seats were uncomfortable and my sleeping pill was not strong enough. To add insult to injury, in the middle of the night we passed a massive bus accident, and I made the mistake of looking out of my window onto the pavement below right into the twisted face of a fatal victim of the accident. That definitely kept me on the edge of my seat the rest of the night!


Chiang Mai's City Park. Posted by Picasa

I arrived in Chiang Mai around 7:00 yesterday morning and immediately trudged through town to find a guesthouse. I found a lovely little place off the main road, classily called "Mr. Whisky Guesthouse," and after meeting a very kind British girl that ran the desk, settled into my room.

As yesterday was the start of the annual Chiang Mai Flower Festival, I took a shower and wandered through town to the main park. There were flower and plant stands along the streets, and within the park Thai music was blaring from the speakers as children fed the fish and the elderly smiled from benches. I found a nice spot in the grass, enjoying some Phad Thai before my boredom took over and I decided to see more of the city.


Old meets New. Posted by Picasa

I ended up at Wat Phra Singh...it was absolutely nothing compared to Bangkok's temple, but I had a quick peak in the buildings before dragging my tired body back to my guesthouse. By this point it was 6:00 pm, and I was hoping to make it to the evening's Muay Thai Boxing Match downtown at 8:30 pm. I decided to take a quick nap before eating dinner and getting ready, so around 6:30 pm I layed my heavy head on the pillow and woke up at 8:30...this morning! I think that was a much-needed sleep...oh well, I suppose Muay Thai will have to come later!



One hot massage! Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home