Wednesday, June 07, 2006

India: Monkey See, Monkey Do, Monkey BITE!!!

I have been anticipating June 6th with mixed dread and curiousity for about a month. Rightfully so, as I discovered yesterday! Chris and I awoke to the bleeping of my alarm clock around 8:00 am, soon making our way downstairs of the YMCA for our free breakfast of veggie patties, toast, and tea. Feeling energetic (I swear it is the crisp mountain air), I gave us a thorough, hour-long full-body workout session in our room, followed by a yoga lesson by Chris and then stretching. We eventually headed into town for lunch and some time on the internet.

Unfortunately, my tummy began to rumble, and I ran through town back to the YMCA, arriving just in time for another "head-in-the-toilet" episode. Feeling much better, Chris and I wandered back into town, stopping into our new favorite coffee shop for some lattes. We had only been parked on an inconspicuous ledge with our backs against an iron gate on the edge of a cliff for about two seconds before I felt a painful pinch in the center of my back. I immediately jumped up with a proper girlish shriek (as did Chris, complete with shriek), spun around, and was face to face with two leering, hissing, evil little monkeys on the other side of the gate, gripping the iron bars and ready to lunge for more. The first thought I had was to save my latte, so I quickly grabbed it, cursed a few obscenities at the little bastards, and laughing along with the amused Indian onlookers, Chris and I hurried away.

We wandered around town for a bit, checked e-mail and popped into a few shops before I decided I better get myself a rabies shot. I went to a little clinic, got a prescription, and picked up a shot and some antibiotics. Chris was too much of a weenie to give me the shot, so I went back to the doctor for the jab, my first of five that need to be applied throughout the next month.

So I suppose I was right about 6/6/06 being a bad omen. At the same time, I am the only person I know who has ever been bitten by a monkey, and frankly, I think it is pretty darn funny. I am convinced the evil S.O.B. with the nasty red hiney was inflicted with rabies...why else would he attack me out of nowhere? Monkeys are no longer cute. I decided to throw myself a pity party, so Chris and I got some ice cream before having beers at a dingy, dark pub.

Where my day had taken a turn for the worse, Chris' took a turn for the better. A group of Indian men were sitting behind me in the pub, and as they were leaving, they handed Chris a napkin. On the napkin they had written the following: "Your eyes are drop dead gorgeous. And your smile is so cute that I can't express it. Thanks for coming India. Take care. And you are most welcome to Ludhiana (Punjab)." I died laughing, and Chris tried to convince himself that the note was really for me. Everywhere we have gone in India, the men are extremely affectionate with each other, often holding hands. Poor Chris has not gotten so much as a look from any of the India girls, but apparently the fellas love him!

Chris and I finally made it back to our room around 11:00 pm last night, but not before visiting the local Dominoes pizza for a greasy, round, 8-inch ending to my surreal day. This morning Chris slept in while I had breakfast, and we eventually forced ourselves to head into town. We had wanted to take an overnight bus to our next destination, Manali, but unfortunately private tour companies no longer run overnights, and we do not have the guts or patience to deal with public buses. Therefore, we booked a bus for tomorrow morning that will get us into Manali around 5:30 pm. I am not looking forward to a ten-hour day trip, but I am sure the scenery will be incredible.

And a final word to the wise: Stay away from the monkeys!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home