Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Working in Cambodia: Week 3

Amazingly, three weeks in Cambodia has come and gone, and I am finding it very hard to believe that I must leave in just over a week. This past week has been a blast, and I am really feeling so happy here that it is going to be incredibly hard to leave!

Kate left for a two week holiday in Ireland, so Shawn has taken over as manager...and this leaves me as the only girl working at the bar. By now, these guys are like brothers to me, and I enjoy hanging out with them. We have been spending most of our days hanging out on the beach with Shawn's skimboard, which they have converted into a shallow water wakeboard, with a little help from a ski rope and motorbike. After a few skinned knees and a very sore bum, I have managed to master the getting started part, but aside from one awkward 360, I am not very skilled in the tricks department. It is still good fun, regardless, not to mention entertainment for the Khmer onlookers. As for my great idea of a Bootcamp on the beach...well, let's just say that one died a very quick death. I did so much as print up flyers and pass a few out, but my idea that 9:00 am is a good time was misguided, as the sun is blaring its scorching heat on the sand. Now, I am just too lazy to go further with it!

Tuesday night was definitely one of the biggest nights since I started working here, as the place was packed and the people were partying hard...we did not close until well after sunrise! There are loads of people in town, so we decided to have a "Toga Party" Saturday night. Of course, we employees got completely Roman'd out, and we were thrilled that loads of people came in in various bed sheets, curtains, and towels in order to get some free shots.

Knowing that I only had two full weekends left in Sihanoukville, I wanted to take a little holiday outside of town and check out some places I missed on my first trip. Therefore, Shawn and I rented an obnoxiously loud 250cc dirtbike and made the scenic trip past Bokor Hill Station to Kep Sur La Mer, a lovely, quiet provincial French beach town nestled in a dense forest. Craving fresh seafood, we had a huge, delicious meal of fish, squid, shrimp, crab, rice, and drinks for only $5 each. This morning, on the way home, we stopped at a river near Kampot for a refreshing swim before finally heading back to Sihanoukville to prepare for tonight's party.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home