Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Working in Cambodia: Week 1

Well, what can I say? I am now an un-official citizen of Cambodia...well, at least for the next month!

After sleeping in my room until 1:00 pm upon arriving in Bangkok from Koh Phangan, I ventured out onto Khao San Road for lunch, unexpectedly but happily surprised to run right into my old American pals Mike and Max, who were in town for the day. We spent al of the day together, catching up on the last few weeks since we saw each other last. I eventually said goodbye to them both, as Mike was heading north to Chiang Mai and Max was catching an early-morning flight back home to the States.

Monday morning, I decided to forego the ubiquitous, overpriced travel agencies and took a taxi to the Eastern Bangkok bus station. I took the 11:00 am bus out, and after a five-hour ride through torrential rains, I arrived in the small town of Trat just after 4:00 pm. I checked into a lovely guesthouse, went to the market for some new flip-flops (as pair number six died a quick death while walking down the street), and in a fit of homesickness, had a disgusting meal of a chicken and Cheez-Whiz pita wrap at the local KFC.

Early Tuesday morning, I was back at the Trat bus station, this time to board a 6:00 am mini-bus for the one-hour journey to the border. I went through the typically painstaking Camodian entrance rigamorale, avoiding outrageous "processing fees" with a flash of my smile and request for a receipt (the border officials told me that I looked like a movie star...believe me, I was milking that one for all it was worth!), and was soon on a motorbike to the port of Koh Khong. I arrived at the boat just in time for the 8:00 am (and only) departure for Sihanoukville. After a refreshing three-hour ride throught the beautiful blue waters, the boat pulled into the Sihanoukville port, where Cooper's smiling face was waiting to take me into town.

After treating Cooper to lunch, we went to my new home for the next month, 99 Guesthouse. I checked into Room #6, two bungalows down from Cooper, unpacked my bags, and after hanging up my hammock, relaxed on the porch, taking in my new surroundings. I eventually met Eisa, a lovely German girl who also works at Utopia.

That night, Cooper, Eisa, and I hopped on Cooper's motorbike and headed down to Utopia. Utopia is a bar at the far end of Ochheuteal Beach in Sihanoukville best known for its late-night parties three nights a week (Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays) and dancing on the beach. Unfortunately, it had been raining all day, so only a few people showed up. It was the perfect opportunity to meet my fellow coworkers and get a feel for the place, but disappointing to see how much things have slowed down since my visit with Erin back in March. We closed relatively early that night, and I happily fell into bed for a much-needed sleep.

Wednesday was a day of lounging around the beach, checking email, and getting myself settled into my new home. On Thursday, we all met up at Utopia at 2:00 pm to walk the beach and hand out flyers for the night's party. That night was my bartending debut. Fortunately, more people showed up, but not so many that I was swamped. I have never bartended in my life, but found it to be relatively easy. Except for the occasional Long Island Iced Tea, I did my best to make decent drinks.

Friday was another lazy day on the beach, relaxing from the previous late night and in preparation for Saturday's big party. Saturday night was Eisa's last and we were quite busy, so I definitely worked my butt off. I love being busy, and it is loads of fun meeting all sorts of people, not to mention laugh at all the drunk people attempting to dance and engage in various cloudy-minded activites. Working here definitely gives me a better respect for all the bartenders in the world! Sunday and Monday were much-needed rest days, and tonight is another big party night. I must say, I have been here for six days now, and I can see how easy it would be to get stuck here. I am glad I made the decision to come here, as it is a great way to pass the time, save money, and hopefully plan for my upcoming trip to India!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home