Saturday, April 01, 2006

Vietnam: Motorcycle Diaries, Day 6 (185 km)

After disgusting ourselves out by our cookie binge session last night (along with the added realization that the past week has involved nothing but sitting, eating, and lying down), Erin and I awoke just after 7:00 am for a much-needed workout. After an hour of lunges, crunches, jump rope, and donkey kicks, we took cold showers before hopping onto Gaston. Erin began the day's drive...it is such a relief to not have to drive the whole day straight!

It was a pretty uneventful day...our first without any crashes (although we did have a few near-misses, as usual) or visits to a repair shop. Erin did almost hit a buffalo, though! After lunch, we changed seats and I began to drive. Even though I have enjoyed my time with Gaston, I was glad knowing that it was the last time I would be in the driver's seat of the Minsk!

As we pulled up to Cuong's Bike Shop, the two employees' faces immediately lit up...Frankly, I think they have been holding their breaths this past week, wondering if we would ever make it back to the storefront alive! I certainly do not blame them!

Erin and I gave the employees hugs, gave ourselves a pat on the back for a job well done, and immediately went back to our hotel for showers and to send our disgusting clothing to the laundry shop. I have been wearing the same khaki pants, green fleece, blue t-shirt, and stinky socks for the past six days...I am not sure if cleaning will help, but I figure it is worth a try!

Tonight is mine and Erin's last night in Vietnam...it is also our last real night together! Tomorrow evening we fly together to Bangkok, and she is going on to Nepal on April 3rd. As for me, I have no idea what I am doing next! Hopefully, I will figure it out on the flight!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home