Thursday, June 01, 2006

UAE: Side Trip to the Desert

What a strange week this has been! Well, after a grueling overnight bus to Bangkok that arrived just in time for me to catch a taxi to the airport and board my 9:00 am flight, I arrived in Abu Dhabi, UAE around lunchtime. As soon as I exited the airport, I was blasted by the strongest heat and most intense sun I have ever had the priviledge to encounter. I loved it. I then boarded another bus that took me through the desert until I reached Al Ain. My friend Tom met me just outside the bus, and after hugging our hello's, we took a taxi to his apartment.


Sunset over the desert. Posted by Picasa

Now, I embarked on this holiday with the intention of only traveling about Southeast Asia and India. I had no plans to visit the Middle East, and, quite frankly, I have never really had much desire to go there. Therefore, I had no idea what to expect. The UAE (United Arab Emirates) is a tiny country settled south of the Persian Gulf. It shares borders with Saudi Arabia, Oman, and is just a hop, skip, and a jump from Iran and Iraq. It is home to sheiks, women in black abaya , loads of foreigners (mostly Pakistan and Afghanistan workers), camels, sand, mountains, beaches, and the world's fastest-growing city, Dubai. I was excited about exploring this tiny country, to say the least!

After getting settled in, Tom, his roommate Chrishan, and I went out for a Chinese dinner to celebrate Tom's thirtieth birthday. I easily fell asleep that night, catching up on some much-needed sleep after all the travel I had been putting myself through the past week. I was awaken Sunday morning around 4:00 am to the eerily beautiful sounds of a man singing the Muslim prayers blasting through the mosque's loudspeaker. Amazing. Sunday was a lazy day for me. Tom went to work early in the morning (the work week in the UAE is Saturday through Wednesday, with Friday being the holy day).


Oasis in the desert. Posted by Picasa

That afternoon I went to the local mall, where I wandered around in awe at all the different people milling about, dressed in their customary clothing. I bought food at the market for dinner, and walked back to the apartment through the blazing heat (over 110*F!!!). Since the night before was relatively uneventful and we were all knackered, I cooked dinner for Tom and Chrishan and I, complete with birthday cupcakes and balloons to properly celebrate Tom's 30th. We all watched the newest Harry Potter on DVD before crashing for the night.

After Tom got off work on Monday, we rented a car and drove to the nearby country of Oman, where we explored a beautiful oasis in the middle of the desert, even hiking down into a vast wadi (a deep, dried-out canyon). On Tuesday, we drove out to the sandy part of the UAE desert, where we snapped some photos of camels and wandered around the dunes.


Me in the dunes. Posted by Picasa

On Wednesday, we loaded our climbing gear into the rented car and headed back to Oman. We found a beautiful crag on the side of a hot, brittle mountain, and spent the late afternoon climbing. It was probably the least favorite climbing I have ever done, especially considering how fragile the rock can be after being exposed in the intense sun and heat everyday. I even managed to break a hold while leading, but fortunately did not fall.

This morning, Tom and I drove to Dubai, a beautiful, coastal metropolis located two hours from Al Ain. We spent the first part of the day at the gorgeous, deserted beach before finding a lovely Western cafe for lunch. We spent most of the afternoon in the cool, air-conditioned eatery, drinking coffee and chatting. We eventually headed to the riverfront, where we wandered through the various markets before curbing my intense raw fish craving at a sushi joint.


Burj al Arab Hotel in Dubai. Posted by Picasa

Finally, we headed to the airport. My flight to India was initially scheduled to depart Dubai at 11:45 pm, which would have me arrive in the Delhi airport mere minutes after Chris' plane was to arrive. However, Air India called me this afternoon to inform me that the flight was delayed until 2:00 am. Therefore, I arrived at the airport and was in line to check-in just around midnight. Unfortunately, the girl at the counter informed me that the flight was now delayed until 4:00 am, but gave me a voucher for a free "dinner" (who eats dinner at 2:00 in the morning?) at the food court. I was exhausted at this point, so I found an uncomfortable chair in the terminal and sat waiting for the 3:00 am boarding time.


Mosque in Dubai. Posted by Picasa

Well, at 3:00 am I excitedly ran to the gate, eager to board my plane and get some sleep. However, I was again informed that the flight was delayed, now until 6:00 am. Frustrated, exhausted, and downright delirious, I found curled up on a chair and took a quick nap.

I am now waiting to board the plane. Fortunately, it finally arrived! I have a three-hour flight ahead of me (hopefully full of sleep) before I arrive in India. I cannot wait!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home