Monday, March 06, 2006

Cambodia: Sihanoukville, Part 1

Even with knowing Vietnam's strict policies regarding 30-day tourist Visas, Erin and I completely forgot to state the dates that we would arrive; therefore, when our visas we returned, we were devastated to discover that our visa validity is March 2nd through April 2nd, cutting short our Cambodia trip. However, we had covered plenty of ground and were ready to head south to the beaches anyway, so it really turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

Therefore, Erin and I purchased tickets for Friday's 12:30 pm bus leaving out of Phnom Penh for Sihanoukville. Unfortunately, our transfer to the bus station was late, causing us to miss the bus...fortunately, the next (and last!) bus was at 1:30 pm. Around 6:00 pm that evening, we arrived in Sihanoukville, and after hitting up several "full" guesthouses in town, we finally managed to find Bar Ru, a British-run place near Serendipity Beach with one vacant room left.

Erin and I settled into our room, had dinner, and passed out early from exhaustion. Saturday morning we awoke to a beautiful day, donned our swimsuits, and headed down to the beach. The day was anything but relaxing, however, as we were approached every five minutes by chidren selling fruit and bracelets, women proposing massages and manicures, and men with canes asking for money.

I had no intention of buying a thing...however, an hour later a little boy was making me a friendship bracelet (a promise that I would buy fruit later, which I did) and three teenage girls were going to town "threading" my legs...a painful and LONG (3 1/2 hours!) process of removing body hair with thread. One girl got gutsy and went for my bikini line...the girls were shocked, asking why I was not shy about it while lying on the middle of a busy beach. Hey, I paid $10 for it, not to mention I will never see any of these people again, so thread away, sister!

Unfortunately, in all my hair-removing agony, I completely forgot to apply sunscreen, so I got fried in the hot Cambodian sun. (As I write this, I feel as though my swollen, burnt lips are going to fall off!) Finally, the little she-devils finished the job, and I hopped in the water for a quick swim before heading to the guesthouse for a refreshing, cold shower. Throughout the day, foreign expats were handing out flyers to various beach parties that would be rocking Sihanoukville that evening. Eager for a fun night out, Erin and I picked one, got dressed, and after dinner, made our way to "Utopia".

Upon arriving at the outdoor bar Utopia, Erin and I settled onto stools, chatted up with the bartender Cooper, a Canadian who, like so many others in town, is extending his travels through Southeast Asia by earning a free room, food, and $2 a day. Within a couple hours, we were having the time of our lives, chatting it up with other travelers and of course, dancing (we actually lost a dance contest...it MUST have been rigged!). Out of respect for my dear friend Erin, I will not go further into details!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home